BBAW: Blogger Interviews

Tuesday, September 15, 2009


Name: Shauna
Blog name: Reading and Ruminations
URL: http://readingandruminations.wordpress.com/

Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Let's see. I'm in my mid-20s, and I'm currently a legal assistant at a small law firm in my town. I'd been in the library field for a few years, but was a victim of budget cuts and the bad economy. In the long run, once the economy improves, I'd like to go back to library work. I miss it a lot! I like my job now, but it's really not the same.

When and why did you start your blog?

I actually started Reading and Ruminations under a different name on LiveJournal in 2005 because another friend had started a book blog as well, and it looked really interesting to me. I posted sporadically over a few years, then changed the name and began posting regularly in 2008. By the end of 2008, I'd become pretty unhappy with LiveJournal and its style for book blogging, so I made the transition to WordPress, and it's been much better for me.

What are some of your favorite genres and/or books?

I love classics and literary fiction. I'm particularly fond of British literature, both classics and contemporary. My favorite novel is Pride and Prejudice. I read it when I was 17, and I loved the story. But in addition to loving the story, it also reinvigorated me. To that point, I'd been reading a lot of mass-market fiction, and reading Pride and Prejudice ultimately led me to a whole world of fiction and novels I'd never tapped before. So it did a good thing for me. Some of my other favorite novels are The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, and Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Lets say you’re going to a deserted island and you can only take 3 books with you. Which ones would you take? Why?

I always have a really hard time with this question, because I'm never sure if I want to have old favorites, or something new-but-long. So I'm going to answer this question two ways, if that's okay. If I'm taking old favorites, I am taking Pride and Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables, and The Three Musketeers. If I am taking new books, I'd take War and Peace, The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman, and Atlas Shrugged. I would want books that were going to keep me occupied for awhile, rather than being done in an hour.

Any tips or advice you can give for those who are starting – or thinking about starting – a blog?

I have several tips. Schedule time to blog (this is advice that I've been given but have yet to actually implement). Try not to get too caught up in requesting ARCs and review copies. Review copies are great, and I've found some great books that way, but when you receive them faster than you can read and review them, it gets overwhelming. Challenges are fun, but they too can be overwhelming if you sign up for too many. And don't be afraid to leave a comment on another blog; you can make great friends that way. I could go on for a while, but in the interest of time and eyestrain, I won't.

Is there anything else you would like to share?

I want to make sure I take the time to thank Amy and her committees for all their hard work this week. I know the awards committee alone has been discussing and planning for BBAW since January, which is a huge committment. I'd also like to take a minute to encourage everyone to visit some new blogs this week. You never know where you might find a friend. And lastly, I'd like to thank you, Casey, for interviewing me. This was a lot of fun!

Thanks Shauna!! Be sure to stop by Reading and Ruminations.


signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for interviewing me!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

great interview! and I love the shout-out to Amy and her BBAW crew - they did a ton of work and we get to reap the benefits. :)

Unknown said...

Great interview! I would find it really hard to choose 3 books with me to a deserted island. I always find those kind of questions hard. Off to read your interview now :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin