Author Interview: Judith Graves

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Judith Graves

Books:
  • Under My Skin

All her parents wanted was for Eryn to live a normal life...

Redgrave had its share of monsters before Eryn moved to town. Mauled pets, missing children. The Delacroix family is taking the blame, but Eryn knows the truth. Something stalks the night. Wade, the police chief's son and Redgrave High's resident hottie, warns her the Delacroix are dangerous. But then so is Eryn--in fact, she's lethal.

But she can't help falling for one of the Delacroix boys, dark, brooding--human Alec. And then her world falls apart.

A normal life? Now that's the real fairytale.


Did you always know you wanted to be a writer, or did you just kind of fall into it?

I love to exaggerate and add drama to any situation. Writing is the perfect outlet for an attention seeker like me. Well, except all the hours spent alone in my office cut off from the world...


If you weren't a writer, what would you be?

In therapy and/or heavily drugged.


What is the hardest part of writing for you? What's the easiest?

Coming up with ideas—way too easy. Staying with them to THE END...that's the tough part.


What advice would you give people who "run out of creativity" when writing?

The first draft doesn't have to be creative. Get the ideas down in whatever Dick-and-Jane way you can, and take the story to a logical conclusion. Chuck the manuscript in a drawer for a few weeks. Brace yourself, then take it out for some air. Trust me, you'll see lots of room for creativity.


What do you like to do in your spare time, when you are not writing?

I watch seasons of shows on DVD. I'm on Angel season two right now. I drag friends to our local Karaoke bar, and my two nutbar labrador retrievers drag me around the neighbourhood.


Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? Why?

Kitty Keswick has a fun werewolf story, Freaksville, that was just released in January. I tell you I ate that book up. ;) She's a fellow Class of 2k10 debut author (www.classof2k10.com) and is also with my publisher, Leap Books (www.leapbks.com). Okay, so we also co-write the Wolfy Chicks blog together. You should check it out: http://wolfychicks.blogspot.com


What genre do you enjoy reading? Do you limit yourself to reading only the genre that you write?

I do read a ton of paranormals, both YA and adult (Rosemary Clement-Moore, Catherine Jinks, Gail Carriger, Melissa Marr, Holly Black, Charlaine Harris, Kelley Armstrong). However I'm huge into contemporary/edgy YA (Laurie Halse Anderson, K.L. Going, Libba Bray, Rachel Cohn). I adore Neil Gaiman's Sandman saga and Beill Willingham's Fables series of graphic novels. (I'm sure I'll find the secret entrance to Fabletown when I tour NYC with my fellow Class of 2k10 authors in May!)


What is one question that you've always wanted to be asked in an interview? How would you answer that question?

Do you want fries with that? Yes. Always fries. Never salad. ;)


Is there anything else you would like to say?

Thanks so much for letting me hang with you!

_______________________________________________


Thanks Judith!

signature

3 comments:

Angelique said...

Great interview, I'm a huge fan of Sandman myself. wanted to add this book to my Amazon wishlist, but can't find it there :(

Anonymous said...

Great interview! She seems really chill :)

Judith Graves said...

Hey Casey, thanks for participating in the UMS tour - your blog is lovely.

Vamps and Tofu - UMS should be up on A soon.

reeder - "really chill", I like that. :) Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin