From the Back of My Shelf (1): The Iron King

Friday, July 8, 2011

From the Back of My Shelf is hosted by Erica (The Book Cellar) and Katie (Katie's Book Blog).


The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Released:
February 1, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 363
Series: The Iron Fey #1
Rating: 5 stars
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

Freaking Awesome! And that’s putting it mildly.

I’ve always been a huge fan of the fae and when you add in some twists, you get the unforgettable world of The Iron King. You have the basic faerie story elements - Oberon, Titania, Puck, the Seelie and Unseelie Courts - but that’s where The Iron King’s similarities to other faerie stories end. There was a twist to the tale that I didn’t expect nor have I seen done before. I wouldn’t have thought it was possible, yet Kagawa did it…and she did it well too!

There aren’t many times, especially with debuts, that I find myself thoroughly enjoying every single character. There are usually a couple that really stand out while the rest seem to fade into the background…that definitely wasn’t the case here. The characters are so well-developed and diverse! Megan is a unique heroine that won’t be dissuaded from her goal. She’s strong, independent, stubborn, and selfless…just what I like to see. Even the supporting characters were memorable…Robbie the kooky best friend with an edge of mystery, Ash the dangerous and deadly winter Prince you can’t help but love (I know I sure do), and Grimalkin the arrogant cat that will keep you on your toes!

I just loved reading about Nevermore. Kagawa’s vivid and imaginative descriptions allowed me to feel as though I was experiencing all the wonderful, and not so wonderful things right alongside Megan. Kagawa created such an enchanting and riveting novel…I was completely immersed in the magical story. Every scene just flowed so smoothly and beautifully from one to another.

The Iron King is one extraordinary debut filled with action, romance, humor, and oh so much more. I strongly recommend it!!





Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin