Book Review: My Soul to Take

Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

Releases: August 1, 2009
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 279
Series: Soul Screamers #1
Rating: 4 stars
She doesn't see dead people, but…

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…

Well, what to say about Rachel Vincent’s first YA release? This book was about Banshees, which I haven’t read about before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I found it to be very interesting and I was engrossed from beginning to the end.

The writing was superb. Although, the beginning started off kind of slow but with the start of a new series, that tends to happen. There was a lot of details and explaining to do before jumping into the actual soul screaming part, but I felt Ms. Vincent did a good job placing details in all the right places. During certain parts of the book, I felt as thought I was right there with the characters, experiencing what they were. I love stories that keep my eyes glued to the pages and me guessing throughout the entire book, which is exactly what My Soul to Take did. The plot was very original when compared to other paranormal and fantasy books out there today. It was a nice change to read something other than vampires, werewolves, fairies, etc.

The characters were all well-developed, I thought. Some had there secrets, which I do enjoy a character with a little mystery to themselves. But of all the characters, I really enjoyed Tod (not going to explain because I don’t want to give any spoilers) but I am looking forward to reading more about him.

When it came the final pages, I was so not ready for the story to end just yet. Now, what does that tell you? The end of the book left me begging for more and I can’t wait to read the sequel. My Soul to Save is scheduled to release January 2010.




signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin