Book Review: Wondrous Strange

Monday, August 24, 2009

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Released: December 23, 2008
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 328
Series: Wondrous Strange #1
Rating: 5 stars
Kelley Winslow is living her dream. Seventeen years old, she has moved to New York City and started work with a theatre company. Sure, she's an understudy for the Avalon Players, a third-tier repertory company so far off-Broadway it might as well be in Hoboken, but things are looking up—the lead has broken her ankle and Kelley's about to step into the role of Titania the Fairy Queen in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Faeries are far more real than Kelley thinks, though, and a chance encounter in Central Park with a handsome young man will plunge her into an adventure she could never have imagined.

For Sonny Flannery, one of the Janus Guards charged by Auberon, the King of Winter, with watching over the gate into the lands of Faerie that lies within Central Park, the pretty young actress presents an enigma. Strong and willful, she sparks against his senses like a firecracker and he can't get her out of his mind. As Hallowe'en approaches and the Samhain Gate opens, Sonny and Kelley find themselves drawn to each other—and into a terrible plot that could spell disaster for both New York and Faerie alike.

What!? This is a debut novel? Well, I’ve been fooled because never in a million years would I have guessed that. This was a phenomenal read. Just flat out FANTASTIC!!

The writing was incredible. I was instantly hooked from beginning to end, and I just seemed to fly right through the pages. And the plot was so original. I have read fairy books before, but nothing quite like this. Things weren’t what they seemed to be, and I love stories like that because it keeps me guessing and re-guessing throughout the entire novel.

Even the characters were amazing, including the minor ones. I loved Kelly and everything about her. She seemed like someone pulled from real life and put into a story. (If that makes sense) She strived to make her dreams come true, she was honest, and she had reactions of a normal person. More female protagonists should be like that, in my opinion. The best part was when Sonny told her that fairies are real and not just stories. What does she do? Laugh at him and call him crazy. Hilarious! That is exactly what I would have done.

Wondrous Strange is one novel that should not be missed. Even if you don’t like fairy stories, you should still give this a try. It’s Amazing! I am sad that it’s over, but am definitely looking forward to reading the next addition of the trilogy, (Yes, I said trilogy!) Darklight, coming out in December of this year. Yay!




signature

3 comments:

La Coccinelle said...

This one's next in my TBR pile. I keep hearing good things about it!

The Obsessive Reader said...

I read like maybe a fourth or fifth of the book on Harper Teen a while back and it was really good. I need to get it so I can read the whole thing. I've only heard really good things about it.

Sab H. said...

I'm reading this one right now!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin